Thursday, January 31, 2013

Daily Dares: Day 31

Since this is the final day in January, I think it is a good time to review how my Year of Dares is going so far, and see if any adjustments need to be made.

We'll start with my Daily Dares.  These are things that are important to me that I want to do everyday...
  • √ Pass a minimum of one French lesson on Duolingo
    30/31 days I think this has been a success.  There was one day, when I was battling a cold and felt really out of it, that I just couldn't seem to concentrate enough to pass, and that is ok.  Some days, I didn't think I could, but I did, and some day, I didn't wanna, but I did, and I am happy for it.

  • Call someone
    19/31 days  Definitely less successful than I had hoped.  I still have a LOT of anxiety around this at times, especially when I am feeling that could be any sense of discomfort around the call, someone judging me (real or imagined), talking to someone I don't know or like, the possibility of not saying the right thing...  I build it up in my head and my body reacts with adrenaline and a racing heart, and it's easier to just avoid making the call.

    I did notice that there were days when I felt better about this and made several calls, and I think this month I am going to take advantage of that.  Instead of forcing myself to call on days when it's not necessary and either inconvenient or distressful, I'm going to dare myself to make 7 calls per week.

  • √ Create a rabbit
    31/31 days I just love doing this.  I love creating and can lose myself in it, with hours passing me by unknowingly.  There were some days I didn't *finish* my creation, but I did at least start a bunny everyday.  I hope to experiment more with mediums other than paper & pencils, like more with scissors, clay, paints, nail art (oooo!), maybe even some baked goods!  ^o^  It'll be exciting!

    Today, I watched Operation Dumbo Drop.  OMG did you see it?  They dropped an elephant out of an airplane!!!  I was in tears on the edge of my seat!  But even before that scene, I had been inspired to draw an elephant with a bunny.  There is some really cute bunny & elephant art out there, but here's what I came up with.  Adorbz, n'est-ce pas?

    Click to embiggen...

And how about the other Dares, you wonder?  The monthly ones?  The big ones for the year?  Well... not so good IMHO.

Two of my three big Dares for this month involved phone calls, and the 3rd involved putting myself out there.  I got myself so worked up over the phone calls this month, that I couldn't bring myself to do more than download the applications for the districts to which I want to apply.  So, I am going to roll my monthly dares over from last month in to February, and if I complete them before the middle of the month (that'd be by the 14th!), I will add on calling at least 3 of the districts to which I applied to try & get an interview.

My yearly Dares!  I had only thought of one at the beginning of the month, to complete 12 picture books by the end of the year.  I have thought of themes for half of them and done a few drawings so far!  I am very excited to work on these!

And while I've not found a third big Dare, I have decided on a 2nd one.  This one scares me.  I want to be earning $1000 per month by the end of the year.  I am not sure what form this income will take but I am daring myself to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! They make blogging so worth it! So feel free to say anything you'd like.... And look! No silly Captcha or anything... ^_^