Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Wacky and Weird Wednesday (and a little wonderful too...)

Yes, another installment of mother-inspired silliness. This one will demonstrate the craziness that *is* my mom in several short vignettes...

A long time ago, I cooked more frequently than I do now, and my mom often helped. Ok, so I tried and Mom taught, as it should be. Anyway, I remember this one time (not at band camp) when I was making some cookies that called for chopped walnuts, and mom had purchased walnut halves in the bulk food department, and my boyfriend-at-the-time and I were breaking them into smaller pieces with our fingers and adding them in. Mom wandered in and said she knew a better way. And she grabbed the bag and proceeded to knock it against the table 5 or 6 times, which I am sure would have worked well, if the bag hadn't broken the first time it hit the table, sending walnut halves all over the kitchen!

I attemped to make my very first pie crust from scratch. I don't remember what I was having trouble getting it to do, probably getting it to that cornmeal-like stage, and she & the same boyfriend-at-the-time kept trying to give me advice, and it was just. not. working. and I lost it. I threw the pastry blender down, probably screamed obscenities at them, and ran off to my room to cry. My mom finished the crust for me and probably baked the pie too... Isn't she the greatest?

Ok, enough cooking, you wanna know how my mom used to wake me up? She would do things like throw open the bedroom door and yell, "Did you know Amazon women used to cut off their left breast off?" Then slam the door shut, leaving one confused and sleepy girl in bed, searching for reasons. Of course I got up and asked why. (So they could hold their bows better.)

And she taught me silly songs, like the little skunk song and the lighthouse keeper song, and we'd sing these and many others at the top of our lungs while driving in the car, or just around the house for amusement... Or was it to annoy Frank... ^_^


I have lots of other good things to share, but now it's time for bed... yes I know, far too early! LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! They make blogging so worth it! So feel free to say anything you'd like.... And look! No silly Captcha or anything... ^_^