Thursday, September 25, 2008

Banned Books Week Meme

(Thanks to baerana for the heads up...)

The ALA will be celebrating Banned Books Week from September 27 - October 4 this year, and I thought I'd start a small meme-age! ^_^ (I am so sure someone else is out there doing this right now as we speak, or already has, but haven't you ever heard of parallel development?)

You know the schpiel, bold what you've read, italicize the ones you want to read, and of course, feel free to add comments!

Top Ten Banned Books of the 20th Century
10. The Grapes of Wrath [1939] John Steinbeck
9. Lady Chatterley's Lover [1928] D. H. Lawrence
8. Slaughterhouse-Five [1969] Kurt Vonnegut - I dunno if I want to read this. The story sounds intriguing, but I don't like war stories...
7. To Kill a Mockingbird [1960] Harper Lee
6. Fahrenheit 451 [1953] Ray Bradbury - Again, not sure if I want to read this, intriguing plot, but violence, politics, war, etc. don't appeal to me.
5. The Catcher in the Rye [1951] J.D. Salinger
4. Tropic of Cancer [1934] Henry Miller
3. Naked Lunch [1959] William S. Burroughs - Sounds interesting, but like it might be difficult to follow...
2. Ulysses [1922] James Joyce
1. 1984 [1949] George Orwell - I found this book boring. It's been a long time, and perhaps my views may have changed, but I remember at the time, that it was incredibly dull.

Most Challenged Books of the 21st Century
10. "Forever" by Judy Blume
9. Captain Underpants series by Dav Pilkey
8. Scary Stories series by Alvin Schwartz - I don't like to read scary stories... *blush*
7. "It's Perfectly Normal" by Robie Harris - Hehehe... not that I *need* to read it, but it'd be neat to take a look at it...
6. "Fallen Angels" by Walter Dean Myers - Like I said before, not all that into war stories...
5. "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" by Maya Angelou
4. "Of Mice and Men" by John Steinbeck - I know the story, and I think it's too sad for me to read the whole thing
3. Alice series by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
2. "The Chocolate War" by Robert Cormier
1. Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling

1 comment:

  1. 9. Captain Underpants series by Dav Pilkey

    My son loves these books. He would be sd if they was banned. lol

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! They make blogging so worth it! So feel free to say anything you'd like.... And look! No silly Captcha or anything... ^_^