Saturday, September 28, 2013

Hoppy International Rabbits Day!

International Rabbit Day is an international day which promotes the protection and care of rabbits both domestic and wild. ... On International Rabbit Day, we think about the many ways that rabbits bring joy to our lives, and also the many ways in which they are harmed, by hunting, eating, medical experimentation, product testing, fur-farming, and living isolated lives in outdoor hutches. ~ House Rabbit Society, Sept 1, 2013


Click to embiggify...

It may come as a shock to you, but I love rabbits. In my late teens I adopted a friend's rabbit when he could no longer take care of it; then another friend asked me to take his as well, swearing up & down that it was a boy too. OF COURSE it turned out to be a girl and soon there were fuzzy baby bunnies bouncing around the house.

Despite being attached to them all, I knew that I couldn't properly care for even the first of the bunnies I had taken in, so I found someone to adopt them all. At the time I was naive and uneducated about rabbits, and am not sure if they went to the best home. Later I adopted yet another unwanted bunny who remained with my mother when I went off to college.

When I moved into my own apartment, I got involved with the House Rabbit Society in the area and fostered several rabbits over the years. I remember them all very fondly and miss having a rabbit around the house, but I know that at this time, we don't have the room or money to care for a house rabbit the right way. However, I still try to educate people about proper rabbit care, advise them to seriously consider all that goes into it, and then to adopt from a shelter or the HRS in their area.

If you'd like to help out some homeless rabbits and friends, while getting yourself some great stuff, check out these shops on Etsy; a portion of the sales go to help rabbit & animal shelters:
  • Plopsy Design: part of your purchase price goes directly to help homeless bunnies.
  • Huntsville Bunnies: funds raised by this store will go towards veterinary care costs for foster bunnies
  • Running Bun: all profits donated to Bright Eyes Sanctuary.
  • Beads for Bunnies: Portion of sales donated to rabbit rescue.

1 comment:

I love getting comments! They make blogging so worth it! So feel free to say anything you'd like.... And look! No silly Captcha or anything... ^_^