Monday, October 04, 2010

Product Review: Flavored Almonds

A long while ago, Emerald came out with cocoa roast almonds, and I loved them.  Great chocolatey flavor and low carb.  Well recently I discovered Blue Diamond Butter Toffee almonds, and they've also got a Dark Chocolate version too!  There are a bunch of other flavors and brands that have come out recently too...  So of course, I decided to do a taste test!

(Note: A serving size for all of these is 1oz/28g, which is 20-24 nuts.)

Emerald Cocoa Roast Almonds, Dark Chocolate flavor:
Calories per oz:  150
Total Carbs:  6g
These have an excellent chocolate flavor without being dipped in chocolate; I don't know how they get the flavor on, but it's nice & dark just the way I like it.  The calories can be adjusted by having less, and just a few really are a nice sweet treat after lunch or for a snack.

I give it...

Two Ears Up!

Blue Diamond Natural, Oven Roasted Almonds, Dark Chocolate flavor:
Calories per oz:  160
Total Carbs: 9g
Not as good as the Emerald brand.  More of a hot cocoa flavor than a dark chocolate flavor.  Still yummy and good for me.

I give it...

One Ear Up

Blue Diamond Natural, Oven Roasted Almonds, Butter Toffee flavor:
Calories per oz:  160
Total Carbs:  9g
Again, I don't know how they get the flavor on the nuts without using a melted sugar or fat, but these are so good!  Buttery and rich, and just a few make a good dessert, especially mix & matched with the Emerald Cocoa Roast...

I give it...

Two Ears Up!

Blue Diamond Almonds BOLD, Blazin' Buffalo Wing:
Calories per oz:  170
Total Carbs:  5g
These are a yummy snack, but a little hotter than I like.  They do have a nice Buffalo hot sauce flavor, and are low carb, and easily calorie controlled with portion size.

I give it...

One Ear Up

Blue Diamond Almonds BOLD, Habanero BBQ:
Calories per oz:  170
Total Carbs:  5g
Again, an excellent flavor, spicy with a nice sweet BBQ, and like the others, low carb & calories can be easily adjusted with portion size.

I give it...

Two Ears Up!


Both Emerald and Blue Diamond, and several other companies, have many other flavors out there to try.  I've seen ranch and wasabi and other more traditional flavor too, but haven't wanted to try them.  If you have, and think I should, leave me comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! They make blogging so worth it! So feel free to say anything you'd like.... And look! No silly Captcha or anything... ^_^