When I first heard the commotion, I thought it had just buzzed in like last year and came, camera in hand, ready to shoot, but I soon realized she needed a little help. I carefully & slowly reached my hand toward her and tried to guide her out of the window (it's recessed about 3 inches). I could hear her making little chirps and could feel the wind of her wings on my hand. I have never been so close to a wild bird ever!
After a minute she flew out but headed toward the overhead light that was on. She was definitely confused, but after turning off the light and a little more guiding from the other side of the light, she flew out the door and up into the tree with her mate.
You can almost see her mate in this picture. (It was twilight, dark almost outside, lights on inside, the camera had a hard time... ) He is almost to the right edge and looks almost like he's sitting on the clothes line.
It was a truly amazing experience. And this morning I looked up what it means...
Most websites agreed that the hummingbird is a messenger and stopper of time, a symbol of optimism and sweetness, tireless joy and the nectar of life. Ted Andrews said a lot in his book, Animal Speak. I wish I could type it all out, but this is what I found most important:
- It reminds us to find joy in what we do and to sing it out. ...if we truly enjoy what we are doing, we become light as a feather, and life is rich with nectar.
- The hummingbird can help you to find the joy and sweetness in any situation. It's swiftness is always a reminder to grab joy while you can - as quickly as you can.
- [One] should watch their own sugar levels. Are you getting too much or too little? Are you hypoglycemic or hyperglycemic? Are you not getting enough sweetness in your life? Are you not savoring the sweet things in life?
- It may be telling you to do something to create joy in the home.
- ...it is important to get regular and deep sleep and rest. It will be necessary so you don't burn yourself out.
- ...it is a symbol for accomplishing that which seems impossible. It will teach you how to find the miracle of joyful living from your own life circumstances.
This article is also great: http://www.aaanativearts.com/article1391.html