Saturday, March 21, 2009

Hope Will Never Be Silent

Yesterday afternoon, the editor of Diversity Rules Magazine received hate mail threatening them to "CEASE AND DESIST" or suffer "a personal TUNEUP" adding that hate crime legislation will not stop them, even if they have to hire someone. I am utterly dumb-founded by such blatant bigotry that I don't know what to say. The police have been notified of course, and are investigating, but meanwhile, what do we do? I don't know for sure, but I do know that we can't just roll over and give in to their homophobic browbeating. We need to stand tall and face these cowardly bullies who hide behind anonymous email and find a way to stop the spread of such hatred, prejudice, and unfounded fear.



Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself.

~Harvey Fierstein, American actor and playwright



Straight Americans need... an education of the heart and soul.
They must understand - to begin with - how it can feel
to spend years denying your own deepest truths,
to sit silently through classes, meals, and church services
while people you love toss off remarks that brutalize your soul.

~Bruce Bawer, The Advocate, 28 April 1998



Mothers, tell your children:
be quick, you must be strong.
Life is full of wonder,
love is never wrong.

Remember how they taught you,
how much of it was fear.
Refuse to hand it down -
the legacy stops here.

~Melissa Etheridge, "Silent Legacy," Yes I Am, 1993


Please help however you can, subscribe, donate, or just spread the word...

Hope will never be silent. ~Harvey Milk

5 comments:

  1. I honestly don't understand people. What ever happened to the idea of live and let live. I know that I never once in my life woke up in the morning and decided hey, I'm straight, and I'm sure none of these bigots did either. Why don't these people see that love is such a precious thing, that where ever one finds it, it should be cherished and left to grow. I mean seriously, what are these people (homophobes, or any other ignorant bigots) afraid of?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't believe it I am absolutely sick about this. I JUST started writing my column for them! We're gonna get whoever did this! Thanks Bunny! www.geocities.com/manrandomanecdotes
    manyrandomanecdotes@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a strong and powerful message! Thanks for sharing! Have a wonderful week!

    Hugs,
    Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Daily Star has picked up the story
    http://www.thedailystar.com/local/local_story_082041544.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Daily Star continues its coverage
    http://www.thedailystar.com/opinion/local_story_084041522.html?keyword=topstory

    If any of you are in the area of Oneonta support the Daily Star subcribe, advertise.

    Thanks again for your support

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! They make blogging so worth it! So feel free to say anything you'd like.... And look! No silly Captcha or anything... ^_^