Friday, December 26, 2008

Product Review: Mo's Bacon Bar

Yes, you read correctly. I finally stumbled upon that glorious combination of quintessential foods: chocolate and bacon. While shopping in the Big City last Saturday, we happened to come across Mo's Bacon Bar by Vosges and we decided to spring for it. I couldn't wait to try it out. However, with a head cold I knew I'd have to wait if I wanted to experience every flavor nuance. So wait I did. Five whole days it sat there, taunting me. But today, I finally tried it. I was not disappointed. Of course, neither was I overly impressed. It was not worth the $5.99 I paid for it, but it was good. Worth paying more for than a Snicker's...

Enough blathering about the price, you say; get to the taste! Patience! As with anything worthwhile, you do not want to rush. No stuffing your mouth so full that you can hardly chew; you can't truly enjoy the flavors that way! After removing the sealed silver wrapping from the box and opening it, I noticed the smoky chocolate scent, like the leftover chocolate from s'mores around the bonfire the night before. Then I snapped off a square. It was a dark milk chocolate, and you could see little chunks (and big too in some cases) of bacon on the back.

Then I took a bite. The chocolate was sweet and rich (45% cacao), and there were snappy little crunches of applewood smoked bacon and Alder wood smoked salt that burst in my mouth almost like PopRocks! The smoky saltiness gave the chocolate a deeper, more well-rounded flavor, and I was sad when the last of it melted away off my tongue.

How does it stand up nutritionally? Well, this is a candy bar. 3 squares have 160 calories, 11g of fat, and 15g carbs. Not too terrible as a planned snack/dessert, but not to be randomly snacked on...

Overall, I give it...

Two Ears Up

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! They make blogging so worth it! So feel free to say anything you'd like.... And look! No silly Captcha or anything... ^_^