Monday, January 02, 2012

My Best Reads of 2011


Bunny Read Bookmark, available on Etsy


Someone on one of my Etsy groups asked about our favorite books from 2011 today, so I went to my Goodreads to check it out. I added 93 books to my 2011 Shelf - although I probably read more, just failed to record them - and there were 11 that to which I gave 5 stars. Those are:
  • The Candymakers by Wendy Mass - Told from the point of view of 4 12-year old contestants in a national candy making competition, this story has mystery, friendship, and a very satifying ending.
  • A Mango-Shaped Space by Wendy Mass - A coming-of-age story about a 13-year old girl with synesthesia and how she learns to cope with it and life.
  • The End of the Line by Angela Cerrito - An intense tale about a 13-year old boy coming to terms with accidentally killing his friend.
  • Keeper by Kathi Appelt - A tale of a 10-year old girl convinced her absent mother is really a mermaid, but is she? Finding out may be more tragic than never knowing.
  • The Map of True Places by Brunonia Barry - A successful woman, on the brink of marriage, returns to her childhood home to care for her aging father, and in the process redraws the map of her life.
  • The Sun, the Moon, and the Stars by Steven Brust - Actually not the 1st time I had read this.  A story of an artist and his relationships with the artists he shares a studio with, which seems to mirror the fantasy of the Hungarian folk-tale he tells.
  • Debbie Harry Sings in French by Meagan Brothers - Another tale of a troubled young man who discovered that he wants to *be* Debbie Harry, although he doesn't think he's gay.  What to tell his girlfriend?
  • XVI (XVI, #1) by Julia Karr - Set in a dystopian future, this is the story of a 15-year old girl who doesn't want to turn 16, which means getting a tattoo to show the world they can have sex with her. Then she learns a shocking secret that turns her life upside down.
  • Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella - What seems like just a light-hearted, mystery/ghost story, turns out to be a touching tale of family and friendship.
  • Phenomena by Esme Parks - I know I am biased, but really it was great IMHO! Told from several points of view, this tale made me laugh out loud so many times!
  • Dragonbreath: Lair of the Bat Monster (Dragonbreath, #4) by Ursula Vernon - Comic illustrations combined with hilarious text and an exciting adventure make this entire series 5-star!
Another book that I've started that will be sure to get 5 stars, although I've not finished it yet, is Scott McCloud's Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art. While I am not what one would call a comic geek, I do have an interest, especially from the art-side of things, and this book is such a great resource!

What were your favorite reads this past year?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! They make blogging so worth it! So feel free to say anything you'd like.... And look! No silly Captcha or anything... ^_^