Sunday, January 24, 2010

Spring is coming...

I have so much I want to post about - Esme's birthday, Benji coming to visit, artwork I've been doing, school, the books I've been reading... - but I just can't seem to focus long enough...

So what am I here to post about now? Bugs.

You see, spring is coming. I can tell. The snow is melting. The weather is warmer. It's raining, not snowing. We don't have the 2nd blanket on every night. And the house is getting bugs. No, not like roaches or ants or anything... but like ladybugs, stink bugs, shield bugs, the occasional house fly...

In the fall they crawl into cracks and crevices, generally in trees, or under leaves on the ground, and do a little hibernation kind of thing until it gets warmer. Well some get into the cracks in the siding and into the walls and when the weather gets warmer they start waking up and move toward the warmth, which this time of year is still the inside.

We usually leave them alone, or pop them out the front door where they can quickly get access under the trailer under the front steps. Yes, we're even kind to the bugs that freak some of out the most. A few days ago, you might have seen the little video I posted; well that woolly bear was not the most unusual bug to pay us a visit this time of year.


This is. This is a green lacewing. A VERY Summer bug around here. They generally aren't seen until May or June, sometimes later. but this little guy was hopping all around us last night, and spent a great deal of time on my hand or arm, washing his antennae. He was so cute, I tried to get a good pic, but the lighting was too low, and this is the best I could do. He's only about 1/2 inch long.

So... Spring is coming... Never fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! They make blogging so worth it! So feel free to say anything you'd like.... And look! No silly Captcha or anything... ^_^