Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Decide to Decide.

A weekly quick tip from Simplify 101... My comments in purple!

How much of the clutter in your home is the result of indecision? Not sure? Here’s an example.

A flyer comes home in the mail announcing an upcoming event. You hold onto it because you may want to go…but you don’t really decide if you will go or not. So the indecision known as the flyer sits on your counter for a few days until it is buried by the next few rounds of indecision. Should I go on this field trip? Should I use this coupon? Should I donate to this cause? It’s a good organization…I probably should…but I don’t know. I’ll decide later.

And on and on it goes.

I know this is especially true for me. I think I have a box from 1999 under my desk right now, that represents my indecision from back then. I packed it up when we moved, on more than one occasion, and although I *do* unpack some of it, most of it goes back in the box to deal with later. Mostly craft projects to do at a later date, but I have some of those from when I was in ELEMENTARY school!

A key strategy to cutting through this clutter is deciding to decide. Certainly not every decision can be made the minute it lands in your mailbox or on your kitchen counter…but which ones can? I bet it’s a lot of them.

Decide to decide on everything that you can decide on NOW and you’ll dramatically reduce your clutter. Part of the reason our clutter feels stressful is that it represents lingering indecision. When you decide to decide, you free yourself from both clutter and the stress that goes along with it.

Do you know how hard that is for me? But I shall try! ^-^

Hey, speaking of decisions, did ya vote?


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! They make blogging so worth it! So feel free to say anything you'd like.... And look! No silly Captcha or anything... ^_^