Sunday, June 25, 2023

Summer Mornings

Content Warning: Leggy bug close-up.

Sunday, June 18th, 6:04 p.m. - Momma rabbit feeding unseen babies

Last Sunday evening, as Jacqueline & I were watching TV, I watched this Eastern cottontail walk up close to the house and do a weird little stretch. I realized after a few minutes that she must be feeding babies! And yes, she has chosen to make a nest right near our house! So for the next few weeks we'll be avoiding mowing the area or otherwise disturbing the nest.

Monday, June 19th, 6:37 a.m.

This week was hot, but the mornings were still cool enough to wear my hoodie on our walks.

Tuesday, June 20th, 6:43 a.m.

I saw a Kentucky flat millipede, Apheloria virginiensis, in the yard. We often see the American giant milipede, Narceus americanus, but not usually this colorful variety.

Wednesday, June 21st, 6:40 a.m.

The solstice dawned just as beautifully as the rest of the week, and the birds have eaten all the cherries I could reach before they ripened.

Thursday, June 22nd, 6:40 a.m.

I've been waking up about an hour or so before my alarm goes off, but not feeling ready to get up, so getting back in bed and drowsing, but of course falling back into a deep sleep just in time for the alarm. It leaves me feeling groggy all day long. Maybe with the solstice past I'll be able to sleep more soundly.

Friday, June 23rd, 6:37 a.m.

Friday was grey, but it didn't rain much. Saturday was so rainy when we went to take our walk, that we decided it was best not to go. And although this morning was grey, the sun is now shining and I am hoping to get the pond set up!

Sunday, June 25th, 7:42 a.m.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! They make blogging so worth it! So feel free to say anything you'd like.... And look! No silly Captcha or anything... ^_^